In the 1950’s the Santoro Family opened their first Sub Shops, first in Lowell, MA and then on Route 1 in Saugus, MA. The third generation of the Santoro family continues to own and operate the famous shop on Route 1 today.
“Santoro’s Original Submarine Sandwiches” was opened in 1958 by Robert Santoro Sr. The drive up style building offered a menu of submarine sandwiches he had been selling for years in his father’s grocery shops. Along with his son, Robert Santoro Jr , they drew a large customer base from those travelling up and down Route 1 from Boston to Maine.
In the next few years Route 1 grew and so did Santoro’s. In 1960, Robert Santoro Jr. built the first Santoro’s Sub-Villa on a larger lot across the street from the original location. The flashing, iconic theater style sign lit up Route 1 and announced the grand opening of the “Smorgasbord”. Customers lined up to pile on their favorite toppings on their submarine sandwiches.
In the 1970’s and 1980’s Robert Santoro Jr, or Bob, expanded the menu to add pizzas and hot pasta dinners as well as numerous new offerings of submarine sandwiches.
Santoro’s Sub Villa opened other stores thruout New England as the name Santoro’s became synonymous with great subs. Stores opened in Middleton, Reading, Melrose, Framingham, and Norwood, MA as well as Nashua, NH, and Rutland Vermont.
In the 1980’s the third generation of the Santoro family entered the business with brothers Robert III and Richard Santoro making subs and waiting on customers.
1991 – PRESENT
In 1991 the current Santoro’s Sub Villa was built back on it’s original side of Route 1 with Walgreen’s occupying its old site. Brothers Robert III and Richard Santoro continued the Santoro family tradition and took over running the Sub shop from their father. The Santoro brothers continued to add to and improve upon their already huge variety of offerings by adding more choices of submarine sandwiches, dinners, breakfast selections and a variety of salads. Richard’s wife, Chef Joy Santoro put her touches on the homemade sauces and expanded the specialty dishes on the Catering Menu. Sister, Gail (Santoro) Eaton took over the bookkeeping duties after Mother, Lois retired.